Tuesday, September 27, 2011

AppReview » Facebook Notifications for Google Chrome

App » Facebook Notifications extension for Google Chrome
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nmameahlembdcigphohgiodcgjomcgeo



Since Facebook Notifier got removed (which I guess Facebook has something to do with), I've been searching for a subtitute app for my simple need: to be notified when something's new one FB. Gladly I ran into the official Facebook extension for Chrome.

Facbook Notifications only does what its name suggests: it shows the red number of notifications you have, show a desktop notification (a small window at the bottom right corner of your screen) and if you click on the message, it'll take you to the story page. Fast, easy and simple. With nice design and a lightweight feeling. This is what I need!

BUT, there's one thing irritating about it: When you click on the icon, a pop up window will show up displaying 5 most recent FB Notifications. When you click on one of them, the pop up window disappears,  together with your new notification count, you have to check it again in the full webpage. Furthermore, it takes some time for the pop up to show up (this is Chrome's fault, all pop up windows do that), so as impatient and talkative as I am, this bugs the hell out of me! There's also no quick way to get to the facebook home page.

So I decided to play around a little with the extension. No more pop up, no more frowns on my face, everybody's happy. The little icon now takes me directly to the FB homepage plus the very small memory footprint, life's all good again :-)

So give it a try if you're using Google Chrome/Chromium. It keeps you connected to your friend when you're not working with the browser. And what if you don't? Your lost LOL.

PS. Of course I can share the modified version with you but you have to ask for it secretly and because I'm not sure about the copyright status of the app.

No comments:

Post a Comment